Braithwaite is a village in the northern Lake District, in Cumbria, England. Historically within Cumberland, it lies just to the west of Keswick and to the east of the Grisedale Pike ridge, in the Borough of Allerdale. It forms part of the civil parish of Above Derwent.
Braithwaite is situated around Coledale Beck, a brook which joins Newlands Beck shortly after passing through the village. Newlands Beck (coming from the Newlands Valley) then flows north towards Bassenthwaite Lake.
Braithwaite has a Village Shop by the Low Bridge, several pubs, including the Coledale Inn, the Royal Oak and the Middle Ruddings Hotel. Braithwaite is easily accessible due to its close proximity to the A66. It has a campsite with a caravan park, B&B’s, pubs and guest houses. It has a wide range of sports including sailing, climbing, abseiling, canoeing, hang-gliding, parasailing, orienteering, bird watching (For ospreys in the nearby lakes), photography and virtually any other outdoor pursuit all within four miles of the village.
Nearby is the Hope Memorial Camp, a residential centre used throughout the year by youth groups from all over the country. The camp was the brain-child of Mr A H Hope, Headmaster of The Roan School, Greenwich (now John Roan School) from 1916 to 1930. In 1923, with his own money, Hope bought forty acres of land to the north-west of the village and built four huts on it, to provide his South London grammar school boys with ‘an opportunity of seeing mountains and lakes and of having the valuable experience of camping and living at close quarters with others.’ With the aid of The Roan Foundation, the original green and white painted wooden structures were replaced in 1989 by more substantial ones using modern building materials.
Braithwaite railway station was situated on the Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith Railway between Penrith and Cockermouth in Cumbria, England. The station served the village of Braithwaite. The station opened to passenger traffic on 2 January 1865, and closed on 18 April 1966. The station building survives as a private residence.
Braithwaite is situated next to the fell called Barrow and commands great views from the summit. Braithwaite is also near to the Whinlatter Forest which has many walking trails of varying length.
About 3 miles from Braithwaite, up the Coledale valley, is the Force Crag mine, recently restored for the National Trust, where you can see the buildings and machinery of the last working metal mine in the Lake District. During the Second World War, tons of barites were extracted for making munitions. Trucks transported materials from the mine levels high above Force Crag down the fell side along what became known as the ‘Burma Road’.