Imposing Seven Arched Bridge
Keekle Viaduct is a former railway viaduct near Keekle, Cumbria, England. The viaduct is a substantial structure which carried the double-track C&WJR’s Cleator Moor West to Siddick Junction via Workington Central main line over the River Keekle. It is situated between the former stations of Cleator Moor West and Keekle Colliers’ Platform.
Work started on this imposing seven arched bridge in March 1877 and was completed in 1878. The Bridge was not opened to passenger traffic until the following year. The contractors selected for this work was Messer’s Ward, from Workington.
Timetabled passenger services over the viaduct ended on 13 April 1931. Goods and mineral trains, with very occasional passenger excursions and diversions continued to use the line until it closed completely on 16 September 1963. The tracks were subsequently lifted.
The structure was offered for sale for £1 in 1992, but there was no initial response, as any purchaser would have to maintain and repair it, rather than demolish it and recover the stone.