Millom is a town and civil parish on the north shore of the estuary of the River Duddon around 7 miles north of Barrow-in-Furness in southwest Cumbria, England. Millom was constructed as a new town, beginning in 1866 and subsumed the village of Holborn Hill.
Built around ironworks, the town grew to a size of over 10,000 people by the 1960’s, but has struggled since the works were closed in 1968. Culturally, Millom is notable as the birthplace of poet Norman Nicholson, and as a major centre of amateur rugby league.
In 1251 a market charter was granted by King Henry III of England to John de Huddleston, Lord of Millom. A charter for an Easter fair at Holy Trinity Church was also granted at the same time.
Millom is the most southerly town in the historic county of Cumberland. The parish had a population of 7,829 in 2011 and is divided into four wards, Holborn Hill, Newtown North, Newtown South and Haverigg.
During the Second World War an airfield, RAF Millom, was developed on flat coastal land at Haverigg. This was an advanced flying training station, mainly for Observers and also Air Gunners. Aircraft stationed there were firstly the Blackburn Botha and Fairey Battle, then the more popular and successful Avro Anson. Post-war this became the site of HM Prison Haverigg.